Friday 5 June 2009

I have the tools

Look! Pretty paper! I finally found a shop that sells authentic Japanese rice paper origami squares for my crane project.

I have been hunting for the last two weeks for some of this and just as I was about to give up and order it over the Internet I happened across packs of it in Hobbycraft of all places. Why they should be importing genuine Japanese origami paper I don't know- it's really not one of those shops you would have thought would have something like that. (I guess the American equivalent might be something like Hobby Lobby. It's essentially a chain brand that has big warehouse shops full to the brim with all things craft related from sewing and knitting through to air fix models and doll house furniture).
Anyway, not only did they stock what I wanted but they had a choice of papers and packs. Some of them just made me drool they were so pretty and I had a real hard time picking out which ones to get. In the end it was the cost that limited me. The paper was just expensive enough to make me think twice about whether I would buy it or not. In the end I settled for getting one pack that was good value from the number of sheets of paper point of view and another just because of the range of colours and designs on the the paper.
So here's the first one:
And here's the second one:

See- yummy colours! though I have to admit that the pictures are not quite right as I'm still learning how to use my new camera.
I have yet to start using any of this paper. I got distracted by other shiny things when at the store and besides, I just wanted to look at it for a bit before I start folding it up. There is something very pleasing about a perfect uncreased piece of paper in my mind. That and I am still gloating about the fact that it is proper origami paper. I'm a total Japan junky at the moment and have been harbouring a desire to take a trip to see things for myself first hand. For the moment I will just have to make do with indulging myself in the few bits of Japanese culture that make it to Britain.

3 comments:

  1. Aaaaah! I love the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... such cute prints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter teaches origami in her middle school art class and the kids love.

    ReplyDelete