Monday 30 March 2009

Final TSG Swap gift

So now I've started this post I can't remember if I have posted about this before and if I did, just how much I told everyone (d'oh). The solution? Well, I'm just going to assume that I've told you nothing and go from there because even if I have posted about this before it is so wonderful as to deserve repeating.
And what is it that I am talking about? It's my final TSG secret swap package that's what! March is our final month in the swap which is a bit sad but it also meant that I got to (finally) find out who was sending to me (yay!).
Want to see what I got? Here it is in all it's glory then:



From left to right; x1 skein sock yarn from Flutterby Creations, custom dyed for me in the colourway 'Gytha', x1 skein sock yarn from Flutterby Creations, custom dyed for me in the colourway 'Eldritched Voice' (both of these are modeled after characters from Terry Pratchetts Discworld series and are Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax respectively), x1 skein 2ply lace weight, custom dyed for me by Gemini Knits in some of my favourite colours and finally, x1 skein 2ply lace weight, also custom dyed for me by Gemini Knits in a slightly different combination of favourite colours (she also included 2 little stitch markers with beads to match the skeins that she had dyed for me).
I am so impressed with these. My swap buddy surpassed herself just when I didn't think that she could possibly do any better. I really can't find the words to express how I feel about this other than blathering nonsense such as "wool?! for me?!, dyed just for me?!" and this is me two weeks on from having received all this woolly goodness. Everything that my buddy sent me has been right on the mark and I lovelovelove it all. I have spent some time whilst I have been ill, plotting what I am going to do with each of the skeins. So far I have only worked out what I am going to do with one of them (this one in the little photo here).

It is going to be used to make a Kiri Shawl (see bar on top left hand side of screen for a link to the pdf). I have been meaning to make one of these for ages and I hope that this will be just the right yarn for it. I'm not sure how the variegated yarn will knit up but the colours are soft enough that I think they will blend in nicely together and give this a light, airy spring feel.
As for the other skein of lace weight yarn with the black in it I am torn between making 3 different shawls with it. So far I have picked out Cobweb by Emma Crew, Wild Flower by Dee Bamford and Wa na na na na na na na Bat Shawl! by Emilee Mooney. I just can't make my mind up and I think that this is partly because I can't visualise how the yarn will knit up. I need to get it wound up into a cake and then maybe do a little swatching before I make the final decision though at the moment I'm leaning towards Cobweb. Having said that, yesterday I was thinking something completely different :D so any pattern suggestions would be gratefully received.
As for the sock yarn- well, I'm sure if you are a regular reader of my blog then you will have realised by now that I am big into the Discworld series so it should come as no surprise that I want to make something extra special with these skeins. Both will make a pair of socks for me- I'm being selfish with this yarn as its just so nice. As both skeins have been dyed to reflect the characters I would like the patterns to as well- which is going to mean much searching on the internet and/or designing of sock patterns. 'Gytha' should be something a little racy to reflect Nanny. There's lots of red in there and this might look good as lace. I can see Nanny wearing something very practical on the top but loving the fact that she has something a bit naughty on underneath. So far I have thought about these patterns: Sodera socks, Vine lace socks and Thigh-High Stockings and Lacy Cables Knee socks.
Granny on the other hand would not have any truck with something like that and instead would have practical hard wearing socks. The colour alone would her way of being flamboyant but I figure that if I can add something in that has a practical reason for being there she wouldn't object. So I'm toying with the idea of putting cables in seeing as how cables can be useful to make a sock thicker and stronger. The fact that they can also be decorative will of course, be purely coincidental. No ideas at all for patterns for these socks as of yet.

P. S. Apologies for the Ravelry heavy selection of links. I sometimes forget that not everyone is a total Ravelry addict like myself.

1 comment: