Saturday 5 September 2009

A proud moment

I recently participated in another swap through the Ankh-Morpork Knitters Guild on Ravelry. The theme for this one was A-M Guilds- we each had to pick a Guild that we felt best represented us and then build our packages around our buddies theme. I picked out the Guild of Cunning Artificers for myself though I really wanted to be in the Assassins Guild I knew that I just wouldn't have the stomach for it. My buddy on the other hand, picked out the Guild of Sandras which is for real seamstresses. The Guild of Seamstresses in A-M is a rather euphemistically named guild which has little to do with the guild members real occupations.
However, I digress.
My buddies choice of guild gave me a few problems at first, especially as it transpired that they don't actually do all that much sewing but then it occurred to me that this might just be the perfect moment to make a little something that had been rattling around in my head for a while.
I wasn't sure if it was the quite the right thing to make but it was too good an opportunity to miss- that and it made me giggle at a mile a minute.
So after much prepping and planning, testing and retesting this is what I came up with:


Yes people, it's a cross-stitched "buggrit millennium hand and shrimp". If that doesn't make any sense to you then you need to read this Wiki entry about Foul Ole Ron, one of the beggars of Ankh-Morpork as it's his catchphrase.
The little shrimp design came from somewhere on the internet- I wish I could remember where. When I was designing this I scoured the web and made a ton of notes and then just picked the best bits when it came to the actual sewing. I didn't keep decent notes though hence the fail.
I have to admit though that when it came to putting it into the swap box it was a bit of a struggle to let go. I was super chuffed with how it all came out. I think this will keep me going for a while and it definitely counts as a proud moment for me. Out of all of the things I have crafted this has got to be one of my favourites.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I love those tiny little shrimp! I have not read the Discworld series yet, so I feel like I can't appreciate it to it's full awesomeness, but now I think I'm going to have to go grab the books at Borders or somewhere. =D

    ReplyDelete