Monday 19 January 2009

Little Bluebird of Happiness

My newest FO-

This is my little bluebird of happiness which is based on the 'Sweet Little Bird' pattern by the lady at the Knitted Toy Box. It is supposed to sit flat on a surface but I fiddled with the pattern just a little bit to get it to look like it is flying. Actually all I did was stuff it slightly differently and put the wings and face on in different positions. All the bits that count pattern wise (such as stitch number etc) are all exactly the same. As a final added touch I put a loop on him so that I could hang him above my desk at work. That way, every time I look up I now get to see my little bluebird. He's quite tubby which makes me smile. And if I'm feeling put upon then I get to curse people with an old family saying- "and may the bluebird of happiness fly up your nose!"
As with all really good family sayings it is practically nonsensical but I think you can get the meaning. We normally use it when someone seems to be going out of their way to be a miserable whiny kill joy. I'm sure you'll have met that kind of person at one time or another. You tend to find them most often when pursuing free outdoor activities- such as puddle jumping. There's always someone who, when presented with the opportunity to jump in a puddle, will, no matter how much protective gear you give them, still complain that they might get splashed. At this point you may wish a bluebird to fly up their nose.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's so cute :) I wish I had the patience to knit toys, there are so many adorable patterns.

    ReplyDelete