Wednesday 21 January 2009

Red Sox traveling scarf

The first of the traveling scarves from my Red Sox loving ladies has been and gone over the last week or so. I had to go out and find some special yarn for it as the first section was in a really lovely raspberry colour and the yarn I had bought ended up glowing neon red when put next to
it. In the end I invested in some Debbie Bliss cashmerino which had a lovely colour match and was beautifully soft to work with.
Each section needs to be 10" long and I managed that with yarn spare from one ball which I was really pleased with- right up until the point where Hoshi decided to play with it and bit the centre section of spare yarn out. Now I have three bits of slightly soggy spare yarn instead of a nice length for a small toy project. And there was me thinking that she would have grown out of it by now.

Anyway, here's some photos of the finished section:



I used the mock cable stitch again (from the Vogue Stitchonary) with the argument that it looks a bit like little baseballs. Kinda. A bit round anyway. You also get to see my new office carpet- though neither picture is actually a true representation of the colour. Now don't tell me that that is not thrilling for you ;)

I was quite pleased with how this scarf came out. The width was a little difficult to match as the first section hadn't been blocked but the stitch I picked is quite forgiving that way and will stretch A LOT so it should all be good.
What is really exciting about this all though is that it is going through the hands of fellow red sox fans- proper fans in a way, or at least that is how it feels to me as they get to go to games, get a ton more information and can immerse themselves in the whole thing rather than me who is kinda bouncing behind the fence trying to peek over and join in. It's also nice to get the chance to know other women who are into the Sox- everyone else I know that is into baseball is male and they all insist on talking geek speak the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment