Thursday 8 November 2007

Kafka sucked

I have always meant to read some Kafka- mostly because I have heard many other people rant about his work and feel it is regarded as a collection of modern classics. As I came across one of his novels in audio book format I decided to listen to it today whilst at work. I was particularly drawn to the book that I found as it involves a man waking up one day to find that he has turned into a beetle overnight. It is aptly titled 'Metamorphosis' and I was hoping for some sort of insightful social commentary or human character exploration. What I got was a surreal, tedious and morphologically inaccurate story. The style of writing was interesting at first for its unusual approach but quickly became dull and repetitive. The storyline had very little development and I came away with the feeling that it was just all a bit pointless. It could have worked so well and I felt it a complete let down.
So now I am angry that another good idea has been wasted. It's just another story that will never realise its potential and so will never come to be. I mourn for lost stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment