Thursday 13 March 2008

Teaching the husband to knit

I REALLY want this to happen but I fear that it may be one of those pipe dreams again. Having said this he did have a bit of a go last night so we are one tiny baby step along.
One of the upshots of me sorting through my stash was that I finally got around to casting on for a cat bed that I have been meaning to make for Fenway for ages and ages. I know I said that I wasn't going to start anymore projects but I couldn't fit the wool in the box (as its a 500g ball and is therefore huge) and it couldn't stay where it was (wedged in the front of the TV cabinet in the lounge) as Fenway kept stealing it and tangling the wool up so I figured it would be better to get it underway than leaving it again.
So I decided to make it round and cast on on dpns. I have now progressed to a circular needle and am just going round and round and round until it looks roughly the right size. I measured it up against Fenway when he was sat on my lap last night and I still have a fair way to go- I think he's sneakily growing every time I look away.
Anyway, so its an easy project and it doesn't matter if it gets messed up as it is only for the cat after all so I press ganged the hubby into giving it a go. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that he was reasonably competent and although a little heavy handed had no problem with it. Really all he needs is a bit of practice and he'll be fine. I was exceptionally pleased as he always argues that he is rubbish at making stuff with his hands. I now know that this is a fib and actually if he where just to try it then he'd surprise himself. I now harbour dreams of hand knitted socks to keep my toes warm- made by the husband. It's actually quite hot to see guys knitting and I keep on pointing this out so maybe it'll sink in eventually. My main motivation however is just to try and get him to spend a bit of time with me and share an interest that's of my choosing (he gave me baseball, I want to give him knitting). I have no doubt that he's now done as much knitting as he is ever going to but it would be nice to be able to talk to him about it and know he understands and has a least a bit of interest. We could swap sock patterns....
Sorry, was off day dreaming again.

No comments:

Post a Comment