Wednesday 14 May 2008

Saturdays child

Humph. I have the gloomies today- I think out of nervous anticipation of my birthday on Friday which is going to be crap, I just know it is. I have come to dread my birthday. Not because of any silly regrets about getting older (though my 25th was a bit of a shocker on that front) but because for some reason, my birthday is really important to me. I've never really understood where that feeling came from but it's stuck with me no matter how much I try and tell myself that it really is just another day of the year. My defence tactic so far has been to try not to expect anything to happen- or try to expect that only awful things will happen as that way I can't be disappointed. And I really do have the worst of luck on my birthday. For someone who isn't really all that lucky normally I seem to have even less on my birthday if that is at all possible. So I've stopped arranging parties or planning things to do though none of this stops me getting excited for some weird reason. Which has made me all upset as I sit here and despair of the whole thing and my brain descends into little sinking circles to the point were I just want to crawl into a big hole and die.
And this happens every year, without fail. I end up feeling crap about myself for a week. It's like my gift to myself though why I can't just buy myself some flowers or something I don't know. They would be much more appreciated!
I blame the parents. If they'd had more forethought and planned better I'd have been born on a different day to Saturday (I've been haunted by the childhood rhyme 'Monday's child' ever since I first learnt it) though I guess it's better than a Wednesday birth!. For those of you that need a refresher on this:

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving
Saturday's child works hard for a living
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment